Correct planting of cucumbers with corn in open ground
Today, in the horticultural literature, you can increasingly find advice on how to grow cucumbers in conjunction with corn plantings in the open field. Experienced gardeners assure that the yield of cucumbers will only increase from this, it will be possible to pick cucumbers before the first frost. And such a neighborhood will have a positive effect on corn.
Can you plant corn with cucumbers?
Both plants on a common bed begin to develop together, as if competing with each other in growth rate. After the first antennae appear, it is recommended to constantly direct the cucumber whips to the corn stalks.
This will allow you not to install trellises and other tying devices on the beds.
The main advantage of growing cucumbers in this way is to extend the yield until at least mid-September. By clinging to vertical plants, cucumber stems are less susceptible to fungal diseases.
Cucumber corn will serve as a backstage crop, creating reliable protection from wind, strong sun and other natural factors. The new planting scheme significantly reduces air exchange near the earth's surface, cucumbers begin to consume less energy required for evaporation. This improves photosynthesis, energy is spent on the formation of fruits.
The corn root system penetrates into the soil up to one and a half meters, cucumber roots are located much closer to the surface, thirty centimeters. It can be concluded that the plants are well compatible in their roots.
Competition for nitrogen reserves is possible, so it is recommended to constantly mulch the plantings with cut grass.
How to plant them in the same bed?
Each of the plants is considered thermophilic, so it is allowed to plant them together, around mid-May. Having arranged the holes, three cucumber and corn kernels are placed in each.
Corn seed is soaked before planting, as it dries out a lot during the winter season. This measure will accelerate germination.
As soon as the first shoots appear, humus is poured into the holes, and the bed is mulched with grass, the layer of which should be about ten centimeters. Such a simple measure will not only suppress the growth of weeds, but also reduce the number of irrigations.
With joint cultivation, it is recommended to arrange aisles at least one meter wide so that the plants are not crowded. But most often the planting patterns are determined by the climatic conditions of the areas in which the cultivation takes place.
Where there are no strong winds, it is allowed to use a combination of single plants, leaving a distance of about thirty centimeters between them so that the roots do not intertwine. It is not bad if the development of corn will be slightly faster than the cucumber plant.so that the latter has a rather powerful trunk for the hook.
Experienced gardeners assure that it makes no sense to grow corn seedlings. It is best to plant the seeds directly into the soil. But cucumbers, as before, germinate in peat pots.
If the bed is in an open area, then the corn should be planted in four rows. This precaution will reduce the load from the wind and keep the plants from breaking. In this case, the one-to-one combination can be diversified by planting three cucumber plants near each corn sprout. Such a group should occupy a whole square meter of the site. Only in this case, one can hope that the yield will be about thirty kilograms of a vegetable.
This landing method is also good because the three anchor points guarantee maximum stability.
Some try to create long trellises out of plants, planting corn in rows with a distance of fifty centimeters. The cucumbers are sown in the middle, the general planting line is maintained. The whips are directed to the corn stalks, the main part of the foliage is located between the trunks, practically creating no shadow for them. Zelentsy will be perfectly visible and easily accessible during harvesting. A convenient version of this method is to plant rows according to the 30 by 30 by 30 pattern.
Another way is "2 to 1". In this case, corn is planted in a small garden bed in the center, along the edges - one row of cucumber. In this case, the vegetable lashes simply walk between the supporting plants.
Five rules for harvesting
They look like this:
- evening watering is prohibited. A high level of humidity and a decrease in temperature can cause the appearance of spider mites or powdery mildew;
- until the cucumbers form the third leaf, they must be watered with warm water so as not to harm the immune system of the plants and stop their growth. In the future, the plant is watered in moderation at the root, only in the morning;
- top dressing is an important feature. After the third leaf, add mullein at the rate of "one in ten" or chicken droppings (1 in 20). The second stage occurs during the flowering period. Ammophos or nitrophos is used here in the amount of fifty grams per bucket of water. At the same time, foliar feeding is carried out, for which manganese, boron, zinc and copper are used. The amount of the drug (1 gram) is added to ten liters of water;
- the plant needs to be formed... The cucumber does not branch intensively, forms a small number of lateral branches. For this reason, at the stage of the fourth leaf, it is necessary to pinch the tops. This will enable each leaf to create new shoots, increasing yields;
- loosening the soil is carried out in the aisle, the depth should be about ten centimeters. After laying the third leaf, the depth of the procedure is halved so as not to damage the roots.
In order to achieve maximum efficiency in this way, it is necessary to organize the right care. Seeds are planted in well-fertilized soil, watering and loosening are carried out in a timely manner, weeds are constantly removed.
How to properly plant cucumbers in open ground for a good harvest
- How to properly plant cucumbers in open ground for a good harvest
- How to plant cucumbers correctly
- How to grow a good harvest of cucumbers
In order for cucumbers to please with a bountiful harvest, it is necessary to take into account several important factors when planting them: planting timing, planting site, soil preparation, seeds or seedlings, as well as the correct planting process itself.
First you need to determine the optimal time for planting cucumbers in open ground. They belong to crops that love warmth and begin to grow at temperatures above +15 degrees. Therefore, they are planted in open ground only when the soil warms up above this mark. But it is not worth delaying this process either. Cucumbers stop developing at temperatures above +28 degrees, which can be observed in the second month of summer.
Therefore, the best time to plant cucumbers outdoors is mid-May. Many gardeners associate their planting with the growth of potatoes. If his tops are growing, then there is no need to wait for the appearance of return frosts, which can harm the cucumbers.
Cucumbers are best grown by planting them in several stages. Moreover, you can plant both early and mid-season varieties at the same time. Thus, the crop in the garden can be harvested throughout the season.
Features and conditions of the neighborhood of vegetable crops
When growing the above-mentioned crops together, it is worth adhering to several principles:
- To reduce the time required, corn should be planted early and in greenhouse conditions, which will allow this crop to get stronger and grow faster. Its seeds must be soaked in advance before planting, as they dry out very much during the winter.
- Compliance with the landing pattern.
- Creation of additional structures for protection from the wind in the spaces between the corn bushes, if necessary.
Due to the fact that basically all varieties of corn are yellow, one should not be afraid of its cross-pollination with other varieties. This culture is pollinated by the wind, and cucumbers - by bees and other insects.
Tip! To get an interesting variety, you can carry out artificial pollination using a brush or cotton swab, combining pollen from the stamens with a pistil.
Next, you need to protect the plant from insects, collect seeds.
Soil preparation, timing and planting schemes
It is advisable to pre-fertilize the soil. The landing date directly depends on the region. Both crops are thermophilic, therefore, in any case, it is better to wait for an average daily soil temperature of about 12 ° C. Most often, planting is carried out in May. It is better to plant corn 1 month earlier than cucumbers in order to strengthen them more quickly.
For planting cucumbers with corn in open ground, there are 2 main schemes. This is 1: 1, 2: 1 (the ratio of the corn trunk to the cucumber seedling is shown, as in the photo):
- The first method is used to form a denser wall. 3 seeds of cucumbers and corn are placed in a dug hole on one bed. It should be remembered that a very dense planting will cause a lack of sunlight in cucumbers. It must be planted so that there is at least 30 cm between crops, and more than 1 m between the beds. Better according to the scheme with a distance of 30x30x30 from each other.
- Scheme 2: 1 assumes that corn is placed in the center of the bed, and a row of cucumbers around the edges.
There is one more way. Plant 3 cucumbers around 1 corn. In this case, there is a possibility that the cucumber leaves will oppress. After placing the seeds in the holes, it is advisable to sprinkle with soil mixed with humus.
Please note: The greenhouse uses a 1: 1 scheme so as not to overload the corn stalks.
It is advisable to use additional methods of fertilization and manual pollination, as crops will lack trace elements and microorganisms obtained from open ground.
Caring for such crops will not bring much trouble, the basic principles can be presented in the following points:
- Observe the watering regime. Do not overflow or overmoisten the soil, which is easy to do in dense thickets - this can cause rotting, the formation of fungal diseases.
- Until the third leaf has formed in the cucumbers, it is worth arranging only morning watering so as not to damage the poorly formed seedling by sudden changes in temperature.
- Mulch with dry cut grass. The optimal layer of mulch should be more than 10 centimeters.
Do not water late at night after sunset. Low temperatures and high humidity provoke the development of spider mites, powdery mildew, which are problematic to get rid of. Water with lukewarm water only.
You need regular feeding of plants:
- the first procedure should be carried out after planting, using the best animal droppings (chicken or cattle)
- the second - during the flowering period, better with ammophos (phosphorus-containing fertilizer).
Cucumbers need to be pinched regularly, to form a bush. To carry out constant loosening of the soil, mulching. You shouldn't grow cucumbers in the same place every year. It is better to choose a place where they grew up before:
Do not plant where beans grew.
When the plant reaches a small growth, it is worth providing it with conditions for further growth, that is, to establish supports. To do this, you can use a twine stretched over the cross beams, or a large net.
Advice! If the temperature drops are not large, then it is advisable to water twice a day - in the morning, in the evening.
Such a trick as the joint cultivation of some plants will allow you to get many advantages, reduce the disadvantages. Corn will act as a good protector of seedlings, further harvest from many weather conditions, which will reduce the time of caring for them.
In order to get a good cohabitation of two cultures, it is worth considering that there is a sufficient amount of space, access to light
Pay attention to the root system of future neighbors, take into account the ripening time
When to plant cucumbers: seed preparation
How to properly plant cucumbers in open ground? If you grow cucumbers in seedlings, you can get a harvest very early.
If you properly grow and transplant seedlings, then the harvest can be obtained 14 days earlier:
- For seedlings, full-weight seeds are selected, which should be kept in a warm place for a month, at a temperature of 25-26 degrees, so they will begin to yield much earlier when planting.
- The second stage will be disinfection, which can be done with an aqueous solution of garlic. In a half glass of cold water, mix with 35 grams of grated garlic, mix and dip the seeds wrapped in a bag into the composition for an hour.
- After that, rinse the seeds and place them on a damp gauze for germination. The seeds will swell after 48 hours.
- Place each seed in a separate peat cup, deepening 1.5 cm into the soil. In this case, it is better to buy a ready-made soil mixture in a store. The soil must be moistened and the crops must be covered with foil or glass for quick germination.
Sowing seeds in open ground is carried out only after the soil is completely warmed up.
Planting cucumbers in the ground with seeds
The annual planting of cucumbers in the open field in spring is done around May-June, depending on the region. As soon as the soil temperature is above 15-18 ° C, you can safely start agricultural work. Most gardeners prefer to sow seeds, since transplanting seedlings is very traumatic to the root system, and the plant restores it for too long, which delays fruiting.
Outdoor cucumber predecessors
For competent cultivation, it is useful to know which plants are undesirable as predecessors or neighbors of cucumbers. These include the same cucumbers, zucchini and beets. Gardeners with many years of experience have noticed that the best predecessors of the cucumber are:
Dates for planting cucumbers in the ground with seeds
To get the fruits as soon as possible, it is necessary to observe the timing of planting cucumbers in the ground with seeds. They are sown in warm ground when the threat of frost has passed and stable warm weather is established. Planting of cucumbers in open ground with seeds is carried out towards the end of May and is delayed until mid-June. The timing of sowing cucumbers outdoors can vary depending on how early you want to harvest. Seeds can be sown throughout June-July in order to have cucumbers until the end of September or until a steady cold snap.
Preparing the soil for cucumbers
Each garden crop prefers a different soil type. Preparing the soil for planting cucumbers consists in introducing certain types of fertilizers into it, digging a shovel on a bayonet and arranging a garden bed. The soil for cucumbers, as for many garden plants, should be loose, water-permeable and at the same time nutritious. On heavy clay soils, as well as on "fat" ones with an excess of organic matter, cucumbers will grow poorly. The acidity should be as close to neutral as possible. Here are the fertilizers applied during soil preparation, a couple of weeks before sowing:
- potassium chloride.
Preparing cucumber seeds for planting in the ground
Proper preparation of cucumber seeds for planting is very important. They can be planted both dry, not germinated, or soaked for a while to check their germination and etch them against diseases by dipping them into a manganese solution.In the first case, the seeds are immediately sown from the pack directly into the soil in a row or in an individual hole, watered and after 3-5 days you can wait for the first shoots to appear. In the second case, cucumbers are planted in open ground with germinated seeds. The seeds are spread on damp gauze and covered with the same on top. Viable seeds sprout for 2-3 days.
Rules for planting cucumbers in open ground
None of the secrets of planting cucumbers in the open field are so confidential that any beginner could learn them. In fact, planting them is simple, the quality of the seed itself is more important. Seeds are sown in two rows, then tying them to a trellis. A distance of about 40 cm is made between the furrows, not more than 3 cm deep.If you plant cucumbers with holes, then at least 2 seeds must be placed in each, making a hole in the soil with a stick to a depth of 2-3 cm.
After sowing the seeds, the soil is watered abundantly and the first shoots are awaited. As soon as two seedlings hatch, the excess is cut off at the base as unnecessary. If the second plant is uprooted, then the risk that the root system of the remaining one will be damaged is very high and it will take a long time to restore it. This will postpone the fruiting period of the plant. Planting cucumbers in open ground with seeds simplifies the rooting process.
How to fertilize cucumbers when planting?
In addition to organic matter, which must certainly be present in the soil, mineral fertilizers will also be needed when planting cucumbers in open ground. It is important to bear in mind that an excess of minerals is just as harmful as a deficiency. It is best to postpone fertilization for a couple of weeks, and after planting the seeds in the soil, cover it with mulch from dry humus or peat. this method will help to simultaneously feed the plants and protect them from rapid evaporation of moisture. In addition, mulch allows you not to loosen the soil, which has a positive effect on the weak root system of plants.
What can you plant near cucumbers?
Before planting seeds in the garden, it is advisable to draw up a competent plan for planting them so that different crops help neighbors, and do not interfere with their development. Cucumber culture needs an annual change of location - in this way it will be possible to prevent the appearance of diseases inherent in cucumbers and to get a high yield. In warm regions, it is popular to plant cucumbers next to corn, which protects young plants from winds, shades from the hot sun and retains moisture.
For the convenience of picking cucumbers ripened in the open field, wide aisles should be made (at least 80 cm). Some gardeners use sunflower instead of corn, which has the same protective function. In addition, germinating, the seeds form a plant, which, clinging to the "mustache", will climb onto the "neighbor", like a trellis.
In addition to corn, honey plants are planted next to cucumber seeds - phacelia, any green manure and even flowers that attract insects. This is to ensure that varieties that are not self-pollinating have a high chance of pollination. In addition, legumes that enrich the soil with nitrogen and even weeds, allowing ripening fruits to stay in the shade, which is important for the southern regions, will become excellent neighbors of cucumbers. But you should not plant cucumbers next to tomatoes - the yield in this case will be reduced for both crops.
Caring for cucumbers after planting
The main thing to look out for after planting is watering the cucumbers in the open field. Cucumber, as a moisture-loving plant, requires increased soil importance. Experienced gardeners know that where watering is given proper attention, the risk of getting bitter fruits is minimized. But on dry ground, bitter cucumbers are practically the norm and you will not be able to use them fresh.
Water for watering plants in the open field should be taken warm, settled for a day. In addition to moisture, he loves cucumber and loose soil, but with a shallow root system, the risk of injury to which is very high, loosening the earth is problematic. Therefore, immediately after sowing the seeds, it will be logical to mulch the soil. So there will be no need to loosen, and moisture will be retained, reducing the amount of watering.
How and when to dive cucumber seedlings
As noted above, cucumbers are not very fond of picking, therefore it is better to immediately plant in separate, spacious containers... If it so happened that you sowed seeds in a common container and the transplantation procedure is inevitable, then dive cucumber seedlings at home should take into account the following recommendations:
- The procedure should be carried out when the seedlings have 1-2 true leaves.
- The plant should be transplanted into another container by the transshipment method, that is, without destroying the earthen lump.
- To dive, it is necessary to gently pry the plant along with an earthen lump with a spoon and carefully transfer it to a new container. After transplanting, be sure to water the plant.
- After picking, it is recommended to spray the plants with a solution of the Epin preparation (3 drops of the preparation per liter of water). The drug will help plants survive the transplant faster and more safely and take root in a new place.
How to plant vegetables?
Corn can be planted directly in open ground with seeds, but cucumbers are best grown at home in peat pots first.
From the experience of vegetable growers: “I have been growing corn with cucumbers for several years in a row. The result pleases with a tasty and abundant harvest. It is best to plant the corn in four rows so it is protected from strong winds. And already near each corn bush, plant both one cucumber bush and three cucumber sprouts. Allocate this type of planting you need at least 1 sq. meter".
You can sow corn at a row spacing of about 50 cm and plant cucumbers in the middle. The tendrils of the cucumbers are directed towards the powerful stems, so the bulk of the green mass will be between the bushes, without shading the lower part.
A planting scheme is possible when corn grows on a meter-long bed in the center, and cucumber sprouts are planted on both sides. As it grows, the whips will curl freely through the corn stalks.