Sheathing the gable of the house with siding
The pediment of the house is always in sight, therefore it is the face of the building. By its appearance and the state of the exterior decoration of the house, a person has the first impression of the building. Even an old building can be transformed and made attractive by finishing the gable and walls. The most affordable way to finish the gable is to cover it with siding. It is a durable, reliable, beautiful and inexpensive material that you can install yourself.
Siding as a material for cladding gables, its pros and cons
The roof of a house is not only one of its main elements, it is also constantly visible, therefore serious requirements are imposed on its appearance. The appearance of a private house, its thermal insulation characteristics and the service life of the building depend on how the roof of the building is made and the gables are finished. The easiest and most affordable way to finish the gable is to use siding, while all the work can be done by hand.
Pediment - a section of the roof of a house, which is located between the roof slopes and performs the following functions:
- protects the attic space from the negative effects of precipitation;
- provides heat and sound insulation of the attic room, if it is residential;
- is a decoration of the house, therefore its design is no less important than the decoration of the roof.
The main characteristics of the pediment are its shape, dimensions and the material from which it is made and with which it is sheathed. If we talk about the shape of the pediment, then it is usually triangular or trapezoidal, but it can be more complex. Usually the pediment is made of the same material as the walls of the house, and siding is most often used for its cladding.
Siding pediment not only decorates the house, but also improves its thermal insulation characteristics
There are several types of siding that are used for gable cladding, and they all have the following advantages:
- high indicators of strength, reliability and durability, which allows you to effectively protect the attic from the negative effects of external factors;
- different installation methods, some of which allow you to additionally insulate the pediment, while the installation work is simple, so you can do everything yourself;
- affordable price - this is one of the cheapest finishing materials, and depending on the type of siding, the price will differ slightly;
- a large selection of colors - siding can be matched to any design facade.
Different types of siding can be used to finish the gable.
It is made of metal, which is first rolled and then stamped. A protective and decorative polymer coating is applied to both sides of the sheet. The most popular are aluminum and galvanized-steel siding, zinc is much less commonly used.
- Aluminum. Made of aluminum-based alloy, it is light in weight and has a long service life. The main disadvantage of aluminum siding is its high cost, so it is rarely used for cladding a private house.
Aluminum siding is lightweight, but its cost is high, so it is rarely used for finishing a private house.
- Galvanized steel. For its manufacture, galvanized steel is used, which is covered with protective sprays. Such material can withstand heavy mechanical loads, is not afraid of fire, has a long service life and a wide range of colors. You can mount it at any time of the year. The main disadvantage of galvanized steel siding is its high thermal conductivity and tendency to corrosion.
Galvanized-steel siding has an affordable cost, but if the protective layer is damaged, it quickly corrodes
For the manufacture of vinyl siding, polyvinyl chloride is used, and to improve performance, special additives are used. This is the most popular type of siding, as it has the following advantages:
- corrosion resistance;
- long service life;
- light weight;
- good decorative properties.
Vinyl siding is most often used for finishing gables in private homes.
Despite this, vinyl siding has a number of disadvantages:
- it burns out when exposed to sunlight;
- melts at high temperatures and release toxic substances;
- has a high coefficient of expansion, therefore, during installation, it is imperative to leave expansion gaps.
Vinyl siding is easy to maintain - it is enough to wipe the surface with a damp cloth, but this should be done often, since the low antistatic properties of the material leads to the accumulation of dust on it.
Acrylic siding, like vinyl siding, refers to polymer materials, but it is more modern. Improved performance is obtained through the use of an acrylic additive in the top layer.
Acrylic siding is similar to vinyl siding, but has more advanced characteristics.
Advantages of acrylic siding:
- accurately conveys the color and structure of the tree;
- has a high resistance to sunlight, therefore it does not change its original color for many years;
- not damaged by fungus and mold;
- can be operated at temperatures from -80 to + 80 oC;
- has a long service life.
The main disadvantage of acrylic siding is its high cost and insufficient prevalence - while it is quite difficult to find it in small cities.
Wood fiber siding is made by pressing cellulose and wood components, in some cases additional heat treatment is carried out. This procedure allows you to obtain a fairly strong material that does not tend to shrink during operation.
Wood fiber siding can be damaged by mold and mildew
Benefits of wood fiber siding:
- resistance to large temperature drops;
- low thermal conductivity;
- high resistance to moisture;
- low flammability and property not to sustain combustion;
- long service life;
- no burnout under the influence of sunlight.
Among the shortcomings of the material, it is worth noting:
- in order to maximize the service life, it is recommended to carry out surface treatment every 4–5 years;
- mold and mildew may appear on it.
For the manufacture of wooden siding, glued type-setting natural board is used, but for use outside, the material must have a protective and decorative treatment, which must be updated over time. Besides, its cost is quite high.
In order for wood siding to serve for a long time, it is necessary to periodically update its protective coating.
Despite such disadvantages, wood siding has a number of advantages:
- environmental friendliness is a natural material, therefore it is completely safe for humans;
- low thermal conductivity;
- good vapor permeability.
There are two types of cement siding.
- Concrete or fiber cement. It is made from cement, sand and cellulose. The main disadvantage of concrete siding is the high cost and heavy load on the walls and foundations of the house. Its fame and demand is still small, although it has quite serious advantages:
- resistance to temperature extremes;
- high fire safety;
- long service life.
- Asbestos cement. Previously, this material was used often, but now, due to the fact that it has a negative effect on humans, it is rarely used. Although manufacturers claim that modern technologies make it possible to create material that is safe for humans, it is not very popular.
Cement siding is heavy, therefore increases the load on the walls and foundation of the house
Ceramic siding is made from clay, cement, dye, and fibrous components. After placing the finished mixture in the mold, it is rammed and sent to the autoclave.
The material has the following advantages:
- practically does not absorb moisture;
- has high strength, therefore, its service life is long;
- perfectly imitates natural surfaces.
The disadvantages of ceramic siding are its high weight, which complicates transportation and installation, as well as its high cost, which is why it is not widely used in our country.
Ceramic siding perfectly mimics natural materials
If we analyze all types of siding that are used for finishing the gable, we can conclude that vinyl and metal panels are the best options.
Video: types of siding
Calculations of siding and additional elements
To calculate the required amount of siding and additional elements, you can invite specialists, use an online calculator or do everything yourself. The method of calculation will depend on the shape of the pediment, the presence of attic windows or doors on it.
Calculation of a triangular pediment
Most often, the pediment of the house has a triangular shape. This is the simplest solution, in which an isosceles triangle is obtained, that is, it has equal sides. To calculate its area, the formula is used: Sf = 0.5 · (H · L), where H is the height of the triangle, and L is the length of its base. If there are windows and doors, then their area is subtracted from the result obtained. Since the siding will have to be cut, it is usually bought with a 10-15% margin to account for waste.
Consider an example: let the pediment width be 8 m and its height 2 m. It will be upholstered with vinyl siding, which is 3 m long and 20.5 cm wide strips. Calculations are carried out in the following order.
- The area of the pediment will be equal to 0.5 · 2 · 8 = 8 m².
- Since the house has two gables, you will need 8 · 2 = 16 m² of siding.
- The area of one siding strip is 3 0.205 = 0.615 m2.
- Knowing the total area of the pediment, we calculate the required number of panels: 16 / 0.615 = 26.01 pcs. Round up and get 27 pieces, and taking into account 10-15% of the stock, we determine that you need to purchase 31 vinyl siding panels.
The presence of a window in the gable can significantly reduce the need for finishing material
Calculation of a trapezoidal pediment
Quite often they make a trapezoidal pediment, the area of which is calculated by the formula Sf= 0.5 (L1 + L2) H, where L1 and L2 - the base of the trapezoid, H - its height.
The area of the trapezoidal pediment is calculated according to the well-known formula from the school geometry course
For example, if the length of the larger base is 8 m, and the smaller one is 4 m and the height is 2 m, then the area of the pediment will be 0.5 · (8 + 4) · 2 = 12 m². If there are two facades, then the resulting area is doubled.
To finish the gable, in addition to siding, you need to purchase additional elements, without which you will not be able to do a good job
In addition to the siding itself, additional elements will be needed to finish the gable:
- J-profile, it is necessary for the design of the end rows;
J-profile is installed along the perimeter of vertical and horizontal cuts and abutments, it is used for filing soffits
- The H-profile is used to connect wall panels if their standard length is not enough. Instead of using the H-profile, the panels can be overlapped;
H-profile connects horizontal strips, if their length is not enough for sheathing the pediment
- external and internal corners. For a pediment, only the outer corners are usually needed;
External and internal corners are used to decorate corners and hold panels on them
- wind board, with which the overhang is formed;
Wind board protects the attic from wind penetration
- starting and finishing bar, which are necessary for the beginning and end of the sheathing;
The first panel is attached to the starting plate
- window strip;
The window strip is used for finishing window and door openings
- soffits, they are used for roofing.
Soffits are perforated to ventilate the roof
The required number of additional elements is calculated taking into account the size and shape of the pediment. The calculation is carried out as follows:
- the starting strip is mounted at the bottom of the pediment; for siding with a length of 3 m, a starting strip is taken of the same length. For example, if the length of the pediment base is 8 m, then you need to purchase three strips;
- since the width of the pediment is 8 m, and the length of the siding panel is 3 m, you will need an H-profile, the standard length of which is 3.05 m.It is installed vertically, in our case you need to purchase two strips, since the panels will have to be connected in two places;
- J-profile is used for window cladding if there is one on the gable. To determine its quantity, the perimeter of the window is divided by the length of the J-profile strip, which is usually 3.8 m.
If the pediment has a complex shape, then it is divided into simple figures, such as a square, rectangle, triangle and trapezoid, and their areas are calculated separately, after which the obtained values are added and the total area of the pediment is found.
To calculate the area of a pediment of a complex shape, it is divided into simple shapes.
Video: calculating the required amount of siding
Installation of lathing for siding
Before proceeding with the siding of the gable, you need to prepare the following tools and materials:
- hacksaw or scissors for metal for cutting panels;
- self-tapping screws or galvanized nails;
- screwdriver or hammer;
- building level;
- plumb line;
- wooden bars or a metal profile to create a lathing;
- measuring instruments;
- gloves and goggles should be used for personal safety.
For the installation of siding, you can purchase all the necessary tools or rent them
Before proceeding with the construction of the crate, it is necessary to decide whether it is needed or whether it is possible to install the siding directly on the pediment. Siding can be mounted without a crate only if several conditions are met:
- the pediment has a small area;
- its surface is perfectly flat;
- warming of the pediment is not provided;
- it is possible to provide a ventilation gap.
If at least one of these conditions is not met, you will have to mount the siding on the crate.
The sequence of work will be as follows.
- Preparatory stage. If there are protruding elements on the pediment, for example, a window sill, they must be removed. In addition, the quality of the surface should be checked - if there are poorly attached boards, cracks or other defects, they must be eliminated. Wood surfaces are treated with an antiseptic to protect them from mold and insects.
When creating a wooden lathing for horizontal laying of siding, only vertical racks are mounted
- Markup. If the siding is laid horizontally, then vertical markings are performed - this option is more common. Sometimes vertical installation can also be performed, then horizontal markings are made. In any case, it is carried out using a plumb line and a level. If the house is located in a region with a humid climate, then moisture insulation is fixed on the pediment.
Before installing the siding on a wooden pediment, it must be treated with an antiseptic.
- Installation of wooden battens. It is necessary to install only post profiles, while the installation step should preferably be selected according to the width of the insulation used - usually it is 50-60 cm.The length of the bar should correspond to the height of the pediment, and it is attached every 40 cm. You cannot use a bar with a moisture content of more than 12%. All wooden elements must be treated with an antiseptic before installing them. If the crate is made of metal, then it will cost more, but it will be more reliable and durable. To complete the work, you will need:
- guide UD-profile, its number will correspond to the perimeter of the pediment;
UD-profile is mounted along the perimeter of the pediment
- rack CD-profile - it is installed every 60 cm, in accordance with this, its number is determined;
CD profile is used to create vertical or horizontal guides for attaching siding
- connectors. If the standard length of the profile, which is 340 cm, is not enough, then you need to purchase connectors;
If the length of the profile is not enough, special connectors are used to extend it.
- ES-bracket, with its help CD-profiles are attached.
ES-bracket allows you to mount the profiles at the required distance from the gable
- guide UD-profile, its number will correspond to the perimeter of the pediment;
Let us consider in more detail the installation of a lathing from a metal profile.
- When marking, use a plumb line or a laser level. The racks are fixed every 50-60 cm, it all depends on the size of the insulation used, taking this into account, they make marks on the surface of the pediment.
- The suspensions are fixed. The calculation of the required number of suspensions is carried out taking into account that each vertical post must be fixed on at least three suspensions. The upper and lower hangers are not installed closer than 15–20 cm from the edge of the pediment.
Suspensions to the pediment are attached through a hole in the middle of the plate, after which the ends of the bar are bent and the profile is fixed
- A guide profile is attached at the bottom of the pediment and on its sides. Its length will correspond to the perimeter of the pediment, and to determine the required number of planks, it is necessary to divide the perimeter by the length of one profile.
- Vertical profiles are cut, the length of which corresponds to the completed marking.
- Standing profiles are alternately inserted into the upper and lower guides and fixed on the suspensions using special self-tapping screws.
After the installation of suspensions and UD profiles, the CD profiles are fixed and thus a crate is created for the installation of siding.
- If insulation is used, then it is laid and fixed between the vertical posts with the help of protruding parts of the suspensions.
Insulation is laid between the slats of the metal crate and is fixed with suspensions
After the lathing has been designed, waterproofing and heat-insulating material have been laid, you can proceed to the installation of siding.
The works are performed in the following sequence.
- A starting profile is mounted at the bottom of the pediment. To make it easier to connect the panels to each other, you can put pieces of siding underneath the starting profile.
The starter profile supports the first siding panel
- If there are windows or doors, then a J-profile is installed along their perimeter. If there are slopes near the windows, a window strip is mounted.
With the help of the J-profile, door and window openings are finished
- If necessary, install H-profiles.
H-profiles are used to connect siding strips if they are not long enough to sew the gable
- The panels are cut to size and installation begins, moving from bottom to top. The panels are fixed with nails or self-tapping screws, which must be placed in the center of the mounting hole.
For the installation of siding panels, only galvanized fasteners should be used.
- After installing the siding, the overhang is sheathed with soffits and the wind bars are installed.
Video: installation of siding on the pediment
The main mistakes when installing siding
If you decide to sheathe the pediment with siding yourself, you must adhere to the developed technologies in order to avoid mistakes. We list the most common mistakes that are allowed when installing siding, and how to avoid them.
- Self-tapping screws are screwed in all the way. This prevents them from moving as the panels expand, which can deform the siding. The self-tapping screw must be tightened all the way to the stop with 1 mm perforation, experts recommend tightening it all the way, and then making one turn back.
When fixing the siding between the panel and the self-tapping screw, you need to leave a gap of 1 mm
- Use non-galvanized hardware. Over time, such fasteners become covered with corrosion and rusty stains appear on the surface of the siding.
- Overlapping panels are installed without connecting strips. They can be overlapped, but over time a gap will appear between them. It is better to use a special H-profile for this - its cost is low, so you should not save on it.
- The self-tapping screw is screwed into the body of the panel. During the expansion of the siding, it can deform, as it will not be able to move. If it is necessary to fix the panel in a place where there is no perforation, an oval hole is made in it, after which a self-tapping screw is tightened.
- The self-tapping screw is not screwed in the center of the perforation. This can lead to displacement of the panel.
Siding must be fixed in the center of the perforation
- Install siding without crate. This option is allowed only when the surface of the pediment is perfectly flat. If there are irregularities on it, it will not work normally to lay the siding, so the appearance of the facade will be unattractive.
- Climatic conditions are not taken into account. It must be remembered that if the installation is carried out in the winter, then the panels are compressed, therefore it is necessary to leave larger gaps than when performing such work in the summer.
- The calculation is wrong. This leads to the fact that there are not enough materials, they have to be purchased separately. In this case, different parties may not have the same color.
Following the recommendations of specialists, you can independently complete the fronton with siding, while everything will be done efficiently and beautifully.
Video: mistakes when installing siding
If you want to sew up the pediment of a private house yourself, then the simplest, most economical and affordable way will be to use siding. With the help of this modern finishing material, you will not only improve the appearance of the house, but also increase its service life, and also forget about the need to paint the pediment every few years. The process of performing the work is quite simple, so if you have the necessary materials and tools, as well as elementary skills, any home craftsman can sheathe the pediment with siding.
By using TECHNONICOL tiles as a gable finish, you can not only significantly improve the appearance of the building, but also forget about the major overhaul of the facade for a long time.
The pediment is called the triangular (less often - round or polygonal) upper part of the end wall of the building, which is limited from above by the roof slopes, and from below - by the interfloor overlap. The name comes from the Latin "frontis" - forehead, front of the wall. Ancient temples were often decorated with sculptural figures and bas-reliefs on the pediments. This part of the building was a kind of "showcase" of the building, so a lot of energy and imagination was applied to decorate it.
The beautiful, memorable pediment of the house already from afar attracts the attention of pedestrians, making it possible to distinguish the originally decorated building from neighboring residential buildings.
In addition to the aesthetic task, the pediment also protects the end of the cottage from cold, wind and precipitation, so the choice of finishing material is of great importance. Quite often, behind the pediment, inside the building, there is a residential attic. Then the end wall is also insulated with various types of thermal insulation. End overhangs, protruding 30-40 cm beyond the pediment, prevents precipitation from entering the attic space.
Decorating gables is used in any houses: aerated concrete, brick, wooden, frame.
When choosing a finishing material, building owners try to strike a balance between durability, beautiful appearance and price.
Note that the cost of finishing has long ceased to be an indicator of quality: today, for a reasonable price, you can pick up a modern, durable, outwardly attractive material that will last for many years.
How many builders - so many preferences
In stone and concrete houses, the pediment is often laid out from the same material as the main part of the building, being a figured continuation of the wall. When erecting such a pediment, it is necessary to make very accurate calculations. In the event of an error in measurements, the rafter system may be skewed.
Such a task can only be done by experienced professionals, therefore most builders prefer not to take risks and build a frame pediment after the construction of the main structural elements of the building.
To seal the gables of such structures, lumber, block house, as well as plywood or OSB (oriented strand board) are most often used.
However, over time, wooden boards, even those impregnated with water-repellent mixtures or paint, fade, streaks and stains may form on them.
Moisture resistant plywood is applicable in regions with warm, dry climates. With an abundance of precipitation and temperature changes, it can warp after several years of operation.
If the pediment of the building is finished outside the OSB, it will need an additional finish that protects it from precipitation.
Special varnish-and-paint impregnations can extend the service life of wooden lining or plywood, but it is advisable to renew the paint layer annually.
A successful decorative solution from TECHNONICOL
So that the boards do not turn black, the structure of the house does not deteriorate, and the building lasts as long as possible, the option of finishing the pediment using TECHNONICOL HAUBERK facade tiles is ideal, which will give the building a beautiful appearance and will maintain the durability of the structure.
This innovative material is created on the basis of a durable glass fiber impregnated with bitumen, with the application of natural basalt granulate.
In appearance, TECHNONICOL HAUBERK tiles look like brickwork, and there are seven color options in the line (antique brick, marble brick, as well as beige, terracotta, sandy, burnt and red). Colors can be combined with each other to create a unique pattern.
The material is moisture resistant, resistant to temperature extremes, mold, precipitation, wind loads, does not fade in the sun and does not deteriorate over the years.
The use of facade tiles will be an excellent solution for a house made of any material.
New home image quickly and reliably
To calculate the required amount of decorative material, first of all, you need to know the area of the pediment. In this case, formulas from the school curriculum will help, as well as various construction calculators on specialized sites.
One package of facade tiles contains 2 sq.m. material, has a small size and fits into a car.
Working with TECHNONICOL HAUBERK facade tiles is easy. To carry out the installation, you will need a minimum of construction tools and 2 - 3 pairs of working hands. The tiles can be easily cut with a construction knife with a rounded blade.
Simple, affordable and reliable
So, the decoration of the pediment with modern materials is dictated by a number of important requirements. Firstly, this solution will help protect the attic floor of the building from precipitation, will not allow the insulation to get wet, will keep the heat inside the house at subzero temperatures outside, and will make the life of household members on the second floor comfortable at any time of the year. Facade tiles TECHNONICOL HAUBERK go well with brick and wooden houses, as well as houses with a plaster facade.
- resistant to sunlight
- does not burn
- retains its aesthetic appearance for a long time
- can be installed in any climate, is not afraid of high and low temperatures
- low weight does not load the structure.
The use of various materials in the manufacture of siding leads to some peculiarities in its characteristics.
Metallic is made from galvanized steel sheets. Manufacturers offer a large selection of cladding colors. The material is durable and retains its qualities for decades. The multilayer structure provides protection against:
- ultraviolet radiation,
- temperature changes,
- atmospheric influences.
The cladding of the gable of the house becomes possible due to the ease of installation of the panels. Steel panels should not be used for structures with dilapidated rafters. The high thermal conductivity of the metal requires insulation of the structure.
Vinyl siding on the pediment
Vinyl siding is most widely used due to its affordable cost. The material is not afraid of corrosion and insects, does not fade under the sun, does not deform and is produced in various colors. It can imitate logs, bricks, natural stone. The pediment made of this material looks elegant and well-groomed.
Vinyl panels are lighter than metal panels, making them easier to lift and install. PVC panels retain heat better. The flexibility of the material and the ability to regain shape also has a positive effect when used for cladding.
Types of material
In appearance, facade siding resembles clapboard, but cannot be considered an ideally sealed solution. This is rather a plus, since 100% clogged walls would quickly deteriorate. Some types of panels for outdoor decoration can work for about half a century, and cleaning them is not difficult. The vinyl variety is only called that, in fact, it is formed from polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- mechanically flexible
- fade and crack a little
- easy to assemble
- differ in insignificant weight
- do not cause environmental damage
- allow to operate the system for a long time at high and low temperatures
- do not corrode.
Installation flexibility is normal for most jobs. PVC panels can be painted in a variety of colors, the selection of the pigment is individual. Polyvinyl chloride is indifferent to acids of almost any strength. This means that even if there is a large industrial enterprise nearby, there is no risk. Mounting is allowed in horizontal and vertical planes.
But the vinyl version is soft and does not allow for selective replacement of deformed blocks. We'll have to disassemble the entire lined wall. Aluminum structures should be preferred by those who prioritize durability. The downside of this advantage is the increase in weight compared to PVC, but it is not too significant. Aluminum is easy to install, and at the same time it confidently survives even the load from squalls and strong steady winds, so its cost must be recognized as justified.
Classic metal siding is formed from steel sheets with an outer zinc layer. Such a material is capable of imitating natural wood, and developers often take advantage of this circumstance. After all, the continuous smoothness of the surface is not very attractive in terms of design. In order for the metal to work longer and not fall victim to atmospheric elements, it is covered with a polymer film. Structures with a lock are easily and quickly assembled, there is no need to spend money on fasteners.
Metal will have to be monitored constantly, because it can degrade very quickly. One has only to appear a small scratch, and now the development of corrosion begins, and soon it will corrode a vast area. Fans of new products should think about ceramic siding, which experts recognize as the most promising invention.There is no need to doubt safety, because the structure is made from natural clay, and not from dubious components. The outer layer can resemble the surface of a simple wooden house.
By the way, wood itself is also quite good for making siding. Such a solution is more expensive than many others and is called a block house. But if you wish, you can buy other options - a board or a fake timber. It is allowed to use in the manufacture of not only solid wood, but also glued blocks. Processing and maintenance - these are the weak points of wood siding, even constant attention to it does not allow the material to work long enough.
Wood tends to swell and warp when exposed to moisture - special impregnations slightly improve the situation, but do not fundamentally correct it. Additional protection measures together with treatment with non-combustible substances, insecticides increase resistance, but only the dream of a natural wall will have to be abandoned. In a special group, it is worth highlighting the siding for the basement, which is not so beautiful, but it protects against damage better than the wall. This is the only task of such products, their thickness starts from 0.3 cm.To make siding for the basement, they use especially strong materials that are distinguished by increased weight.
The use of fiber cement siding involves the use of cellulose fibers. The final stage is the formation of the texture, like that of wood. Such material easily tolerates the impact of temperature jerks and atmospheric precipitation. Aggressive wind and fungi, insects are not dangerous to him. The coating provides a quick renovation of the building and gives it an original look, leveling the walls is still non-combustible and retains its color for a long time.
Finishing the pediment with a block house
Block house is also a fairly common finishing material for wooden buildings. It imitates the shape of a log. Finishing the pediment with it will be an excellent continuation of the facade of the log house. This does not add additional load to the foundation.
The speed and simplicity of installation of this material with a high quality finish make it possible to opt for a block house for many options for the exterior of the house.
Install the abutment bar at the base of the gable. To do this, you need to take a sheet of metal with a cut corner on the upper shelf, attach the bar with self-tapping screws (three is enough). Now it is worth moving the sheet of metal tile and fixing the new bar with an overlap with the previous one. This work needs to be done to the end.
You should not fix the sheets of metal tile immediately, as they will become an obstacle with a new amount of work. So we fix the scaffolding until you get hurt on the sharp edges of the tiles.
If the room will be heated, then it is worth fixing the membrane (moisture and windproof film) on the pediment first.
Set the inner corner at the base of the gable overhang. Cut the element at an angle, secure with self-tapping screws. (see photo) we fix it with self-tapping screws. But one inner corner is definitely not enough for you, so carefully look at the picture how the joints are made.
Now sew up the gable overhangs with siding panels. For this, the perforated version is not required, since it is used to ventilate the roof when the cornice is trimmed from below. And through the gable overhangs, the air circulates little.
The length of vinyl panels is measured with a tape measure, the end of which must be inserted into the inner corner and stretch the tape to the outer edge. Add half a centimeter - and the size is ready!
It is necessary to cut the panels in warm weather, otherwise the siding, the fragility of which increases with the arrival of cold weather, will not allow the eaves to be properly sheathed.
Set the angle of the first panel, cut it off, take the square and insert the next panel exactly at 90 degrees. We move up. At the upper junction of the pediment, you can install the required piece of the H-rail.
Now you know how to sheathe a pediment with siding.
Consider how to make the pediment of a wooden house with your own hands. Work begins after the roof frame has been installed, as the outer rafter legs form the upper part of the structure. To make a frame for cladding, they install vertical support posts from a bar with a step from 0.6 m to a meter, depending on the loads. Supports should be located symmetrically about the vertical axis of the wall.
The device of the pediment can be carried out:
- before roofing installation
- after arranging the roof.
In the first case, it is easier to sheathe the frame - you can sew the boards without adjusting to the size, and then cut them on each side along the rafter legs. If the roof is already ready, the frame sheathing will take more time and effort, since each board will have to be measured and adjusted.
Sheathing the pediment on a wooden house before installing the roof
At the final stage of work, the pediment is being finished. A common variant is when the upper part of the end wall is decorated in the same style as the lower one. Facade plaster, siding and other materials are used. In this case, the pediment can be distinguished by arranging the cornice.
You can also finish the lower and upper part of the wall with materials that differ in color and texture. For example, on the lower part, a cladding is mounted from panels imitating masonry, and the pediment is sheathed with vertical siding imitating a tree. A wide range of decoration options will help add individuality to your home.