Demodectic mange in dogs. Not everything is allergic that itches
Quite a lot of publications are devoted to Demodecosis. The problem of the emergence and spread of this disease invariably attracts the attention of specialists. But here's the paradox. An ordinary animal owner (as it often turns out) knows about demodectic mange only by hearsay. (Belozerova M.V. An article devoted to the treatment of demodicosis)
Many of us every year in spring and especially in autumn are faced with the same problem - the dog begins to scratch furiously, go bald and gnaw out the thighs and lower back to the meat. This is understandable - molting begins, and the load on the skin increases.
Some blame everything on fleas and, at best, purchase means to combat them, others decide that it is an allergy and stuff the dog with tavegil, the most responsible owners go to the veterinarian. Unfortunately, even after the treatment prescribed by the doctor, the problem is not always solved. Diagnoses in such cases are different: metabolic disorders, food allergies, staphylococcosis. Why doesn't the treatment help?
Unfortunately, many of our clinics cannot afford to have a dermatologist on staff, and many owners are too lazy to go for a scraping. As a result, a disease such as DEMODEKOSIS is not recognized. This disease is caused by microscopic mites that live under your dog's skin. There, these parasites gnaw through the passages, multiply, die and cause severe itching and inflammation. Most often, demodicosis affects dogs with reduced immunity, allergic inflamed skin, so there is a significant amount of truth in the "wrong" diagnoses. However, if you have eliminated all allergens from the diet (for example, strong bone broths, chicken necks and similar "delicacies"), supported the liver and kidneys, drove away fleas and worms, and the dog is itching, it's time to get treatment for demodicosis.
On the inflamed skin, pathogenic microorganisms - cocci - begin to multiply rapidly, which causes additional problems - pyoderma. You can get rid of this scourge only through comprehensive treatment. The usual course of treatment consists of chemotherapy (the most famous drug IVOMEK, but there are also analogues: DECTOMAX, BAIMEK), antibiotic therapy, increased immunity (IMMUNOFOR, REACH, ANANDIN and others) and the use of multivitamins with biotin (my favorite is KAVIT BIOTIN), but chemotherapy drugs have a very unfavorable effect on the liver, therefore, they can be prescribed only against the background of hepatoprotectors (drugs that support the liver: CARSIL, LIV-52, new - the veterinary drug VIGOZIN), and antibiotics kill the normal microflora of the body. In addition, CHEMICALS ARE CONTRAINDICATED WITH COLLIE, SHELTY AND BOBTALE !!!
This problem can be solved in another way. For this, a drug has been developed that acts similarly to vaccines - IMMUNOPARASITAN. It increases the immunity of the animal and activates the body's immune responses to a specific pathogen - ticks. This drug does not cause complications on the liver and intestines, is safe for collies, shelties and bobtails and provides long-term immunity. There are many subtleties in the use of immunoparasitic, therefore, only the attending physician should prescribe it. However, it is your right to ask your doctor about this drug if it is not offered to you. There is a similar drug for the fight against cocci - ASP.
Any of these courses must be accompanied by external treatments. For this, anti-mite and antimicrobial drugs are used: AMIT, AMITAN, DECOR-1, ACAROMECTIN, BUTOX and others. With purulent inflammation, antimicrobial ointments and suspensions are used in parallel - OTONAZOL, MASTYET-FORTE, any other ointments with antibiotics. Before using external preparations, it is good to treat the skin with a peeling shampoo "DOCTOR" WITH BENZOYL PEROXIDE.
Most importantly, the course of treatment should be prescribed by the doctor, based on the state of health of your particular dog. What helped your neighbor's dog can really, really hurt yours. Do not be ill!
Ekaterina Rozhenko, veterinarian. Fig. Vera Glotova
Dog Bad Smell - 14 Ways to Eliminate Dog Hair Smell
For a dog's coat to smell - if not flowers, then at least just cleanliness - you need ...
- Wash your dog with special "doggy" products every 10-30 days, according to the breed. Wash out the shampoo thoroughly and be sure to use a conditioner.
- Dry your dog after washing or bathing in ponds with a hairdryer or a special microfiber towel that absorbs water as much as possible.
- Brush your pet's ears and teeth regularly. Preferably, using a special paste.
- Wipe your pet's hair with a vinegar solutiona (approx. - 1 tbsp / l per 1 liter of water). Hairless dogs can be wiped with chlorhexidine (at the same time treat all skin inflammations).
- Brush your dog regularly, remove undercoat that accumulates moisture and spreads an unpleasant odor.
- After the walk it is imperative to wash the paws, muzzle, belly and area around the tail.
- Trim under the tailso that fecal particles do not adhere to the wool in this area. Don't forget that even the smartest pet can't use toilet paper.
- Feed your dog right, taking into account the balance of all nutrients. Remember that the lack of certain substances with food leads to metabolic disorders and, as a result, disruption of the work of the sweat glands. Change your dog's diet completely - for a correct and balanced one, give up allergic foods, and, perhaps, this step alone will significantly reduce the size of the odor problem. Do not feed your pet raw meat / fish - cook without salt and steamed. This will save your dog from worms and the following problems with them, including smell.
- Timely examine the dog at the veterinarian and take tests. Remember: a healthy dog smells, but does not stink. The unbearable smell of "dog" is a signal of the body about ill health.
- Be a caring host. That is, treat the dog carefully, paying attention to its mood swings. The smell can also be a protective reaction to stress or fear, in which the sebaceous glands begin to actively produce an unpleasant "odor". Eliminate the causes of stress and fear. Do not scold your pet, and even more so do not use force.
- Use additional products when bathing your pet. For example, Doctor shampoo (by the way, it perfectly heals inflammation on the skin).
- You can also pay attention to dog "deodorants": OdorGone, Smart Spray, Loyal Friend, Essential 6 spot on dermoscent drops.
- Wash your pet's clothes and mattress cover / bedding often. At least once a week! And also wash his toys and remove the "stash" in the corners.
- Walk your dog more often and longerso that she does her natural needs not on the carpet in the apartment, but under a bush on the street.
I sit, bothering no one, eating pate with cucumbers (fresh). Out of habit, I don’t eat the “butts” of cucumbers, although they are not bitter here at all.
The cat comes. Jumps onto the table. He reaches for the saucer where the pate has long run out. One bit of cucumber grabs in the teeth, drags it to the floor and devours it with a crunch and rumbling. While I went to Sasha to find out if I had any glitches, he (the cat, not Sasha) ate the second stub.
Or maybe he lacks vitamins, eh?
The husband came up with a surname for the cat. Skumbrievich. According to the color.
Skumbrievich, before I went on a hike, decided that staying at home on such a summer was no business. And, you know, jumped from the balcony. Even before Sashka removed the railings from this very balcony (repair). After removing the railing, the cat generally began to jump from there. Not a cat, but some kind of kangaroo.
Here it is, a furry striped animal:
[singlepic w = 320 h = 240 float = none]
Cat allergy myths
I am allergic and have allergies since childhood. It is especially difficult for me in the spring. But I have a negative allergy test for cats. Does this mean that I am free from allergies to my pets? Not! But I live with many cats in the same apartment. It turns out that the Balinese cat breed is hypoallergenic. Also no. How so?
Cat allergy myths:
1) There are hypoallergenic cat breeds.
2) Allergy tests are absolutely reliable.
3) If you are allergic to wool, then a bald cat will not.
4) An allergic person is doomed to live without a cat.
1) "Hypo" (Latin Hypo) means "weak", but not "absence". Some "breeders" use this word, which in the minds of Russians is associated with the absence of allergies to the product (hypoallergenic shampoos, baby food, cosmetics) in order to sell kittens more successfully. There have been no studies on the amount of proteins that cause allergies in humans among cats of different breeds. Therefore, the statements of breeders about the hypoallergenicity of a particular breed are FALSE.
2) They do not give a 100% guarantee of the correct result. In addition, we rarely think that an allergy may occur not to the animal itself, but also to its food, filler, and even to dust that settles on the cat's hair.
3) The main "cat" allergen - Fel d1, secreted by the sebaceous glands of the cat. This substance is present in wool, skin flakes. This allergen persists very well in our homes: in the air, on pieces of furniture, walls, in dust. Even if you remove the cat from the room, its allergen can remain in the air for months! Another major feline allergen, Fel d4, is found in saliva and urine. When a cat is grooming, she applies it to her coat or skin. I, for example, have a strong allergy to sphinxes, but with balinese it is much less pronounced. Therefore, be sure to first chat with the cat of the chosen breed longer. Maybe for you it is the naked cat that will be your salvation.
4) It's only your choice! Look for "your" cat, follow simple rules of hygiene, visit a good allergist. Science does not stand still, and every year new methods of dealing with allergies appear.
What about your pet allergy?
Balinese are cats without undercoat. Their fine silky coat does not require any special care, which makes the life of an allergic person in my face much easier.
I invite you to join:
Nursery group in VK
Nursery group in FB
Tips on how to care for your cat at home
Nowadays, many people have pets, and most often they are cats. They, unlike dogs, do not need to be walked. But not everyone knows how to properly care for a cat ...
Hello, friends! The cat has become a symbol of our century. Many now have this particular animal, and sometimes several. But not all owners realize what kind of care cats need. I have five felines living in my house, so I know a lot about them. In this article, I will show you how to care for your cat.
What is the difference between a cold and an allergic rhinitis
Everyone knows how a viral disease develops, but not everyone is familiar with an allergic reaction. If you have a runny nose, look for associated symptoms.
- Origin. Often, a person knows the cause of a viral infection. That is, a runny nose is probably a cold, if it appears after hypothermia or after contact with a sick person. Allergic rhinitis most often appears suddenly, develops quickly.
- Causative agent. If you have an allergic rhinitis, you can try to track the allergen to which your body is responding. Analyze when the runny nose is activated. If mucus production increases indoors, look out for dust or possible allergens in the house. Sometimes a runny nose occurs on the fur of animals, after inhaling the pollen of certain plants. If the runny nose is active only at night, there may be a reaction to the pillow filling.
These are detailed symptoms by which you can distinguish a cold from an allergic rhinitis. However, sometimes the allergic nature of rhinitis often turns into bacterial, and vice versa. That is why an allergist will help to cope with this task. He will ask you in detail about your lifestyle, about the presence of pets in the house, as well as about allergies from relatives. Often, patients are assigned allergy tests, which can detect not only the very fact of an allergy, but also help to identify the allergen.
Cat skin diseases
Skin diseases in cats are so numerous that it is simply impossible to assimilate and cover all the available information about them. Any owner at least once in his life is faced with a problem when a pet picks up dermatitis or lichen, which brings many inconveniences and worries about the pet's health.
Some skin symptoms of inflammation are dangerous not only for cats, but also for human health. Therefore, in order to detect a disease in time and cure it, you need to have basic knowledge. They will be able to help identify the type of illness and tell you how to provide first aid to a sick cat.
During the presence of any of these signs, veterinary intervention is required. Alas, at the moment, it is virtually impossible to cope with any type of fungal disease or dermatitis. Decoctions and folk methods can briefly improve the condition and relieve redness, but they cannot heal and relieve the cat from the disease itself.