Carrot seeds -
Make your carrot seeds?
Making your carrot seeds is not complicated. You will need to take a few carrots from the year's harvest, to keep them for a few months before replanting them with the aim of making seeds of the varieties that interest you ...
How to make your carrot seeds?
• During the harvest, usually around October or November, at the time of uprooting, this is where things are going to be done.
• Select from the most beautiful carrots: those that look like, which best represent the cultivar variety, the finest carrots that have not been affected by disease and other flies.
• Store the carrots in a silo, in sand, until the following spring.
• The seeds are more resistant and more fertile the second year
In the following March:
• Replant the carrots, if possible, not where they were grown the previous year, leaving a space of 30cm in all directions.
• Push them in to the collar.
• Tutore the stems
Info from the amateur gardener:
• Do not plant them near wild carrots or other varieties. Hybridizations could occur. You would not be sure then what variety of carrots growing from the seeds will give.
• Keep only the most beautiful umbels and cut the others, to ensure the best development.
Usually around August:
• Cut the umbels.
• Hang the umbels down in a dry and ventilated place.
• Let them dry for a few days.
• Remove the beard from the seeds
Prepare the carrot seeds for storage
• Once trimmed, place the seeds in a bag
• Indicate the variety of carrot as well as the bagging date.
How long are carrot seeds germinating?
• Shelf life of approximately 4 to 5 years.
How many seeds per gram?
• About 900 seeds / gram.
Emergence time after sowing the seeds?
• In greenhouse: 10 to 20 days
Carrots in the kitchen?
Carrots can be eaten raw or cooked:
• As an aperitif, cut the carrots into a "dip" and serve them with the herb and cottage cheese sauce.
• In salads, carrots are generally used grated, in dressings, with a mayonnaise sauce ...
At the aperitif:
• Have you ever cooked carrots with cumin, a recipe from North Africa ...
• In many unique dishes, pot au feu, cuckoos, beef, carrots, blanquette ...
Photo: Alves Gaspar - Creative Commons license: CC BY-SA 3.0
Also order carrot seeds to enjoy tasty harvests from spring through fall. We have many different varieties in stock which differ in type of root, growing season and desired use.
If you like early harvests, choose seeds from one of the following varieties: "Kamila F1", "First Harvest" or "Amsterdam". The roots of these short-growing carrots will be ready for harvest in early June. The late “Koral” is one of the best conservable varieties. You should also try baby-type carrot seeds which develop small, soft roots. The roots of the variety 'Pariser Markt 4' take on an equally interesting shape: they are small, short and round. The aforementioned varieties are especially recommended for your kids to eat carrots due to their attractive shape and lack of harmful nitrates. 'Major', a sweet and fragrant carrot, will be preferable for juices and preserves and for the little ones. We encourage anyone interested in ecology to order certified organic seed of 'Nantes' type carrots, produced without the use of chemical inputs or fertilizers. You may also be interested in the medium-sized 'Deep Purple' variety that develops purple roots and has a pleasant taste. They will fit into many dishes and give them a very appreciable visual aspect. You may know that initially purple carrots were grown and oranges weren't introduced until much later. You will find carrot seeds mixed with radish seeds in our store. This last vegetable makes it possible to mark the lines with precision. This seed strip makes distribution much easier for even the less experienced gardeners.
All carrot seeds available in our garden store are of high quality, as they only come from approved growers. They guarantee an abundant harvest, only if the appropriate growing conditions are observed. Do not hesitate any longer and order the seeds of your favorite variety today!
CARROT SOWING TIPS:
Before sowing, prepare your soil well: refine it and water.
1 - Sow the seeds directly in place, in rows 25 to 30 cm apart.
2 - Cover with a mixture of very fine earth and sand.
3 - Keep moist until the plants develop.
4 - Thin out a first time at the 4 or 5 leaf stage every 2 to 3 cm, then a second time every 7 to 8 cm.
5 - Hoe and weed regularly.
6 - Water copiously regularly.
Sow carrot? When should I plant carrot?
Most carrot seedlings are best sown in the spring. It is best to do this during the months of March and April. For a successful harvest, we recommend that the carrot seedlings germinate in different rows first. Be careful not to sow the seeds too close to each other as the growing plants may crush each other and fail to reach maturity. Always read the package directions before sowing carrot seeds.
Buy carrot seedlings?
Buying your carrot seedlings is very easy today. To order your carrot seedlings via the site, simply place the seeds in your basket. Then you click on payment to pay. Within a few days, you will be able to sow your carrot seedlings in your vegetable garden.
Warning ! Besides vegetables, you can also plant aromatic seeds, flower seeds and other plants in your garden!
In which soil to sow carrots?
Carrots appreciate light, sandy soils. Sow carrots in deeply loosened soil enriched with humus. Avoid amending the soil just before sowing or transplanting the carrots, the best is to amend the soil the previous fall and if the soil is heavy, add sand at this time as well.
Before sowing or transplanting, carefully refine the soil and remove all stones and other pebbles at the risk of developing split roots.
Where do carrot seeds come from?
Very happy to answer your question
First, you should know that the part we call "carrot" means the edible part that is underground. Above the ground there is its stem, its leaves and even its flowers which will produce seeds.
PS: If you want to grow taller, you might need an LED light!
Flowers of the carrot plant.
The other two answers are absolutely correct: the carrot seed comes from carrot flowers, but she did not explain that the carrot is biennial. This means that most carrots never reach flowering. They are planted and then harvested the same year. Flowers do not form unless the carrot is left in the ground after the growing season, throughout the winter, and grows again for several months the following year.
Carrots like any plant have a life cycle.
A link on growing carrots from seeds.
The short answer to your question is the seeds.
The seeds are collected, processed and distributed for the harvest of the coming years.
If you grow carrots and don't harvest them, they will form a white flower head. with many small flowers, each of which grows a seed.
You will not be able to harvest the root after the plant has bolted and created the flower head and seeds.
The flowering tops of carrot root. Carrots grow underground, that's true, but they've also produced a green top that will bloom and produce seeds like any other plant.
Last year we brought in voluntary carrots from a patch that I had forgotten the year before. They bloomed and the seeds fell.