Strawberry jam - a recipe
Number of pots:
6 - 8 pots.
Preparation time :
Cooking time :
30 min + 10 min.
Rest time :
2 hours or 12 hours. (time not compulsory but it allows the fruits to make juice and engulf the sugar)
Ingredients for the strawberry jam:
• Strawberries: 1kg> we use organic strawberries because they are those from our garden; )
• Cane sugar powder: 750 g
• Lemon: 1
Information: The jam rule is 1 to 1 (so 1kg of strawberries for 1kg of sugar), but I lighten the amounts of sugar, to leave more room for the fruit flavors.
Utensils needed for the jam recipe:
• A small knife (stainless steel blade).
• A salad bowl.
• A large saucepan / a stainless steel Dutch oven / copper jam basin… You don't have one, uh, neither do I.
• A wooden spatula.
• A spoon.
• Baking paper (baking paper).
• A funnel (option for potting) or a ladle.
The step by step recipe for our strawberry jam:
• Wash the strawberries in cold water.
• Remove the tails.
• Cut half the fruit in half.
Preparation of the strawberry jam:
• Add the strawberry sugar in a bowl and mix gently but for a long time;))!
• Place a sheet of parchment paper in a (more or less) waterproof manner.
• Add the lemon juice to the strawberries and mix.
• Book at least 2 hours - 12 hours optional, it's a long time, but it's better !.
• The sugar will mix with the strawberries and their juice.
Cooking the jam:
• Put the strawberry-sugar mixture in your stainless steel pot.
• Turn on a low heat, then gradually bring the heat to high until it comes to a boil.
• Keep boiling for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring very regularly, always with your wooden spatula.
• Skim with a spoon, be careful, it's hot!
• Check the hold of the jam. (see tip below)
• If the jam does not yet hold, keep the heat on high and test regularly ... (do not forget to put the plate back in the refrigerator between 2 tests).
• When it is perfect, stop cooking.
• Skim the jam. There should hardly be any scum left after your passage. ° /
• Give it a final high heat to boil it one last time.
• It's almost done ! There remains the ...
Tip: To check the good performance of the jam, take a plate that you have placed in the fridge while the fruit is cooking (20 minutes) with a spoon drop a few drops on it. The jam should set and not run when you tilt the plate.
• The jars will have been carefully cleaned and sterilized.
• The advantage of the funnel is that it does not dirty the edges of the pots ... But if not by being attentive, careful, precise, it is largely doable with a ladle.
• Fill a first pot, almost to the brim.
• Close it good hot> Be careful not to burn yourself!
• Turn the pot over.
• Repeat the operation with each pot.
• If you want, just below to download the labels!