Sweet cherry tomato F1: the most delicious baby tomatoes
When choosing varieties of tomatoes for a vegetable garden, gardeners take into account, first of all, the early maturity, taste and resistance of the plant to diseases - thanks to these qualities, summer residents have determined for Sweet cherry a leading place among small-fruited tomatoes.
The history of the sweet cherry tomato variety
The homeland of tomato is South America; on Russian soil, tomatoes began to be grown as an ornamental plant only from the middle of the 18th century, when Catherine II received a basket of outlandish fruits as a gift from the ambassador from Italy.
The popularity of berry-like tomatoes has grown due to their versatility and ease of growing. For the first time, cherry tomato seeds became available to gardeners about 30 years ago.
Cherry was born thanks to the works of Israeli scientists from the agro-technical faculty of the Hebrew University in 1973. The goal of the breeders was to create tomatoes that could ripen more slowly in hot climates. Modern cherry tomatoes are sweeter and more juicy, they are used to decorate dishes and in cooking, put in salads and side dishes.
Cherry tomatoes or cherry tomatoes - a symbol of Mediterranean cuisine, exquisite taste and unusual decoration for an everyday dish and any snack
Sweet cherry f1 - a hybrid form that inherits the best parental qualities, is resistant to any weather conditions and high immunity. Despite the fact that the varietal characteristics and subtleties of growing Sweet cherry have long been known, there is no information about it in the State Register.
Infographic: a short description of the Sweet cherry variety
Brief description of Sweet cherry tomato
Description of sweet cherry tomato variety
You can try the first full-fledged harvest from your site at the end of the first summer month, this applies to the central regions of Russia. In the Northwest and Siberia, this small-fruited tomato begins to bear fruit only in mid-July. The early-ripening hybrid Sweet cherry stably yields both in closed unheated greenhouses and in the open field.
In order to prolong fruiting, Sweet cherry is grown indoors, so you can get mouth-watering tomatoes up to frost
The growing season of the early ripening variety is 80–95 days. A tall tomato is indeterminate, reaching 2-3 meters. The plant is formed into two stems: on the central shoot, a stepson is left, located in the bosom under the first flowering brush, all other offspring are removed. This method of growing will not allow a powerful tomato to fatten, all the power will go to the ripening of the crop.
Sweet cherry has its first flower raceme at the growth phase of the 8-9th leaf; as they grow, fruit clusters are formed every three leaves.
Indeterminate tomatoes are high varieties, unlimited in growth. Indeterminants have a long growing season, for this reason, such tomatoes grow well and bear fruit in regions with a warm climate.
According to the majority of summer residents who grew Sweet cherry on their beds, from 3 to 10 fruit clusters are tied on the bushes, on each, depending on climatic conditions and soil fertility, from 20 to 50 tomatoes ripen.
Tomatoes in this variety are isosceles, small, weigh 20-30 g. The average weight of a brush with fully ripe fruits is about 0.5 kg, and the yield of one Sweet cherry bush is from 5 to 8 kg.
Sweet cherry - superiority of taste over size
Table: characteristics of the fruits of tomato Sweet cherry
|Fruit||two-celled, spherical, even, of the same shape; intense color, bright red.|
|Pulp||tender, dense, sweet; unripe - with a pleasant sourness.|
|Skin||easily eaten, rarely cracks as it ripens.|
|Peduncle||the place of separation from the peduncle is imperceptible.|
Video: what sweet cherry tomatoes look like
Advantages and disadvantages of sweet cherry tomatoes
Since its inception, this variety has been awarded many positive reviews from gardeners:
- One-dimensional fruits have an attractive appearance and are versatile in use.
- Due to its decorative effect, the small-fruited Cherry Sweet is suitable for cutting into salads; whole and halved fruits are used to decorate side dishes and sandwiches.
- Weak seed boxes in a juicy but dense pulp, tight skin - all these qualities of the variety are ideal for whole-fruit canning and drying, they can also be frozen whole.
- Resistance to late blight, bacteriosis, top rot, powdery mildew (even in cold summers).
- High tolerance to temperature extremes, especially at night. This explains the long-term fruiting up to frost: tomatoes do not crack and do not rot even in damp weather.
- Short ripening period.
- High percentage of seed germination.
- The sugar content in fruits is up to 12% (with an average of 8-10% for cherry tomatoes).
- Small-fruited tomato is suitable for baby food.
- Cherry tomatoes can be transported long distances without softening or losing their shape.
Sometimes you can't even force small children to try tomatoes, but Sweet Cherry is difficult to refuse.
The disadvantages of the hybrid include a low yield in comparison with other cherry tomatoes and the need for regular pinching.
Features of growing varieties of tomatoes Sweet cherry
In the temperate climate of Central Russia and the western regions, Sweet cherry tomato is grown by sowing seeds for seedlings. Tomatoes are sown directly on the beds in the Krasnodar Territory, in the southern regions of Ukraine, in Kazakhstan.
It is not recommended to propagate the Sweet cherry hybrid on your own, since the manually harvested sowing material will not retain parental qualities, and the yield will be of lower quality.
Growing cherry tomato seedlings
Seeds of this variety are sown on seedlings in the same way as other tomatoes. Sowing begins about 1.5–2 months before picking the seedlings to a permanent place.
Seeds are sown in a prepared container filled with 2/3 of purchased peat (you can use coconut substrate) or a planting mixture prepared by yourself. Loose fertile soil from the garden plot and river sand are mixed 3: 1 and spilled with boiling water for disinfection; sowing begins an hour later, when the surface of the soil has cooled down (you can ignite in the oven or place a bag of peat in the freezer).
In boxes for seedlings, seeds are distributed along the grooves to a depth of 0.5–0.8 mm, observing an interval of 1.5–2 cm. To avoid thickening, each groove is at a distance of 3.5–4 cm from each other. For the germination of Sweet cherry seedlings, it is necessary to adhere to the standard conditions for the germination of tomatoes:
- the air temperature should not fall below +22 С °;
- it is necessary to limit access to direct sunlight in order to exclude overdrying of the soil and its cracking;
- an important point is maintaining moisture, for this the soil is sprayed from a spray bottle.
If these conditions are met, Sweet cherry seedlings appear in 7-10 days. Young sprouts are watered as the surface dries, but not less often than after 2-3 days. You can feed the growing shoots of Sweet cherry under the root with an aqueous solution based on mineral fertilizers 12-14 days after germination. The seeds of this tomato sown in mid-March will have 2–4 leaves after 1.5 months.
So that the plants have enough nutrients and they have enough sunlight, a dive is carried out
Sweet cherry moves to a permanent garden
In mid-May, the seedlings will grow up to 10-15 cm - the time comes to transplant tomatoes to a permanent place in the open ground or in a greenhouse, since the Sweet cherry blossoms first appear 50 days after germination at the stage of regrowth of the 5-6th leaf.
The tomato is planted on the site when the average daily temperature is not lower than +12 C °, in cooler weather this crop stops growing. Seedlings are placed on even, well-lit beds with a southern or southeastern orientation.
To avoid drafts, the plants should be located in the depth or center of the site; legumes, zucchini, root crops (beets, carrots) are planted in the neighborhood, but nightshades are excluded. To increase the yield of Sweet cherry, along with other varieties of tomatoes, it is necessary to observe the crop rotation: the best predecessors are cabbage, carrots, radishes, peas, cucumbers. The ideal option is to plant tomato seedlings on sandy loam or loose chernozem soil.
Bushes of this variety are planted at a distance of 50 cm from each other, thus placing from 4 to 6 seedlings per square meter; row spacing - about 70 cm
When transplanting grown tomatoes to a plot or greenhouse, it is important to remember: the smaller the young plants, the better they take root. For better survival, shoots with a strong, even stem and large leaves without yellowness are chosen. It is better to place "suspicious" tomato seedlings on a sanitary garden bed, from which you can always take a bush for replanting that has been damaged by pests or has not survived the transplant.
Cherry tomato care
Sweet cherry f1 is a non-capricious variety, responsive to feeding and regular watering.
- After 7-10 days, when the tomatoes take root in the beds, they are tied to pegs. As they grow, the stems with the ovary are fixed with twine in several places with an interval of 15–20 cm.
Weighty sweet cherry brushes with reddening fruits are tied to the central stem or trellises
- Watering is carried out under the root with warm, settled water as the soil dries up, usually the soil is moistened from a watering can or drip irrigation is organized. One Sweet cherry bush requires three to five liters of water during the fruiting period.
- The root space is carefully loosened after each watering and mulched with non-woven materials, hay, needles, cardboard.
Mulched tomato beds are protected from drying out and weeds
- Top dressing with mineral fertilizers is carried out at intervals of 2-3 weeks, they are alternated with organic fertilizers (herbal infusion, yeast solution) and must be completed with abundant watering. Pour 0.5-0.7 liters of a useful solution under one bush.
- Clustered tomatoes with small fruits are regularly stepson; also to accelerate the ripening of the crop, remove the leaves located below the 1-4th fruit cluster.
Most gardeners are of the opinion that timely pinching of tomatoes saves the strength of the plant and increases the yield.
- For prophylactic treatment against late blight, fungicides typical for tomatoes are used (Ridomil Gold, Profit, Oksikhom, Fundazol).
- A month before the cold snap (first – second decade of August), pinch the top of the shoots.
With regular application of organic fertilizers, flowering and growth of green mass occurs even at daytime temperatures below +20 C °. So that the fruits are sweeter, and the plant's immunity does not suffer, I continue to add fermented cow or horse manure, an infusion of chopped grass with the addition of potassium fertilizers in the third decade of August in the form of liquid root top dressing. For 10 liters I take 10-15 g of potassium sulfate, 1/3 of a bucket of settled organic matter, the rest of the volume is water at room temperature, 1.5-2 liters of solution per bush.
Video: how to speed up the ripening of cherry tomatoes
Many gardeners have noticed that this cute exotic giant will perfectly dilute the society of flower pots, decorate a flower bed and vegetable beds. High yield due to the multi-flowered brush, long-term fruiting, unpretentiousness are the three main advantages in favor of this tomato. Sweet cherry will definitely take its rightful place in the vegetable collection of the gardener.
Popular cherry tomatoes - varieties for the greenhouse with a detailed description
Because of their small size, cherry tomatoes are affectionately called "cherry". They appeared relatively recently: the first varieties of cherry tomatoes were received by Israeli breeders in the 80s of the last century. Today on the market you can find a wide variety of mini - tomatoes. They differ in fruit shape, weight, taste and have a rich palette of colors.
Description of the Pinocchio tomato variety
Cherry tomatoes appeared in 1973 and since then, breeders have been developing more and more varieties. So, in the early 1990s, the breeder Aleksashova M.V. the Pinocchio variety was obtained, which since 1997 has been included in the State Register of Breeding Achievements. Designed for cultivation in all regions of Russia, mainly at home.
Initially, the Pinocchio tomato was supposed to be grown in the open field. However, the heat-loving plant in most Russian regions lacks heat and light and requires greenhouse cultivation. Due to their compactness and shallow root system, the plants thrive in flower pots. In the southern regions, Pinocchio can be planted outdoors.
Pinocchio can even be grown in a flower pot
The official description presents this tomato as mid-ripening, although from the reviews of gardeners it follows that Pinocchio has the property of early maturity - the ripening period is 85–90 days (according to some reviews, even 70–80 days).
The preparatory procedure for planting material of the Sweet Cherry variety will increase the resistance of plants to diseases, give friendly shoots and accelerate fruiting
It is also equally important to adhere to the rules and scheme of planting seeds or seedlings.
Preparatory work begins 60 days before the disembarkation of seedlings to a permanent place. To grow the Sweet Cherry variety in warm regions using the seed method, the preparation of grains begins on the day of planting in the ground.
Much depends on the quality of the planting material, and since Sweet Cherry is a hybrid of the first generation, the seeds must be bought in a specialized store. It is better to purchase a product from trusted sellers who will not cheat.
How to prepare seeds for planting:
- Selection of viable grains. Basically, empty flowers are rarely found in the purchased product, but it is better not to ignore this stage of work. Dissolve a small spoonful of salt in a glass of warm water. Pour in the seeds and let stand for about 15 minutes. Those that have surfaced need to be drained with water. Rinse and dry the rest.
- Disinfection. The procedure will help prevent the development of many tomato diseases. For these purposes, use Fitosporin-M (1/2 tsp per 150 ml of water), potassium permanganate (prepare a dark raspberry solution), brilliant green (dissolve 1 ml in 100 ml of water), chlorhexidine (use 0.05% drug without adding water), hydrogen peroxide (3% solution without water).
- Growth stimulants. Such a manipulation will improve the germination of Sweet Cherry tomatoes, help grow strong seedlings with strong immunity. Grains in a gauze bag are immersed in solutions of such drugs: Epin, Baktofit, Energen, Zircon. From folk remedies, wood ash, potato juice, aloe, honey are used.
- Hardening. This is an important step for Sweet Cherry seeds, as the crop loves heat and frosts can be detrimental to it. The planting material is placed on the refrigerator door for a couple of hours.
- Germination. The entire stage, the seeds should be on a damp cloth at a temperature of 24-26 ° C. It is recommended to moisten a napkin with grains from a spray bottle.
Sprouted seeds are planted in prepared boxes with soil mixture for Solanaceae.
Terms and rules for planting seeds and seedlings
When choosing the timing of planting, it is important to be guided by the weather conditions. Seedlings are planted in a permanent place in early May. If it is open ground, the ground should warm up to 12 ° C, at least
At night, it is better to cover the beds with foil to protect young sprouts from frost
If it is open ground, the ground should warm up to 12 ° C, at least. At night, it is better to cover the beds with foil to protect young shoots from frost.
Seedlings are planted in prepared holes with a depth of about 12-15 cm along with an earthen lump. Sprinkle with earth on top and tamp near the roots
It is important to stick to the 50x70 pattern so that the bushes do not shade each other.
This variety is grown by the seed method only when it gets warmer and no cold snap is expected. This is mainly mid-June. On the beds, furrows are made with a depth of 4-5 cm.The seeds are sown one at a time, keeping the distance between them 7-10 cm.
Reference! In the Sweet Cherry greenhouse, seedlings or seeds are grown all year round. The main thing is to provide the culture with constant warmth and light.
This variety can be affected by fungal diseases and suffer from pest infestations.
However, smart prevention can help avoid both. According to the rules of crop rotation, tomatoes cannot be planted in close proximity to potatoes, and also placed in those places where nightshades grew last year.
You can not thicken the planting, neglect pinching, loosening and weeding. The greenhouse must be regularly ventilated to avoid excessive humidity.
For the prevention of late blight and rot, plants are sprayed with Bordeaux liquid, copper sulfate, calcium nitrate. It is recommended to sprinkle the soil with stove ash or water it with ash infusion.
In addition, you can do watering with manganese solution. At the first sign of aphids or other insects, the leaves should be washed with soapy water.
You can ward off pests with harmless biological products, but in case of serious lesions, you need to use insecticides.
Varieties of cherry tomatoes
Although tomatoes were named after cherries, this does not mean that the fruits of all varieties are colored red and have a round shape. To date, many cherry hybrids have been bred, having a very different shape and color. These are pear-shaped, oval, round, elongated and plum-shaped tomatoes, colored red, yellow, burgundy, purple, green, as well as striped hybrids.
The cherry tomato ovary may also differ in its structure:
- clusters like grapes
- symmetrical long lashes with fruits
- small brushes of 5-7 fruits each
- "Umbrellas" resembling an inflorescence of viburnum
- single fruits covering the bush from top to bottom.
Everyone can choose a cherry variety at their discretion, most of them are acclimatized for the weather conditions in Russia.