Floating flower beds: 4 ways to make flower mini-islands in your pond
All the ideas that arise in the field of landscape design do not have enough money, time and space. But this idea will certainly appeal to many. Especially for those who have at least a small reservoir on the site. The floating flower bed will pleasantly diversify the serene water surface: it will sparkle in a new way. A drifting flower island does not require special funds, even if you decide to buy a finished product. What can we say about a flower bed, which you can easily make with your own hands. It won't take much time. But first, let's decide if you really need such a design.
What are we going to build?
The man-made island is arranged quite simply. It has a light floating base in which cells for various plants are made. Usually it is made from a porous material, which allows the roots of flowers to be saturated with nutrients and moisture from the reservoir without hindrance. However, in any base, special holes can be made for the same purpose. This growing method is easily compared to hydroponics, when there is no soil and no need to spend energy on watering and feeding.
A floating flower bed is good because it can organically fit into any design style and will not look like a foreign body
Among the ready-made models, you can find those that are specifically designed exclusively for flowers in pots. They are designed so that the pots are only partially immersed in water. At the same time, the soil is moistened, but not completely wet. Such structures are also good in their own way. They are most often used in swimming pools. The design of the island can be changed quickly. To do this, it is enough to remove some pots from the cells and insert others.
This is what a pool bed looks like. In fact, it is a stand for potted plants. You can change the pots and your pool will be transformed
Why do you need a flower bed in a reservoir?
Indeed, what are the advantages of this floating flower island, besides being very beautiful? Although, aesthetic appeal is a value in itself. But, as it turns out, it is far from the only one.
- Benefits for the inhabitants of the reservoir and garden. If your pond is inhabited, then the innovation will quickly be appreciated. The flowerbed will be visited by water turtles and frogs, the fish under it will be able to take a break from the summer heat, the birds will also like safe rafts.
- Compact design. Your mini-garden will perfectly retain its shape, because the planting will not be able to grow uncontrollably, since there is nowhere.
- Protection from pests. Moles, bears, ants and other underground inhabitants will not disturb the flowers. By the way, you can put not only them in the water, but also a small vegetable garden.
- Growing without watering. There is no need to water moisture-loving plants, the roots of which are already in the water. If the improvised raft is planted with vegetation that does not like excess moisture, its bottom will have to be made solid and watered as usual.
- Cleaning function. The presence of moisture-loving plants as water is a blessing for the reservoir, because their roots will cleanse it of organic matter and prevent unnecessary algae from growing.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to create a small but spectacular structure. By the way, such structures can be safely left in the pond for the winter, their inhabitants will not freeze.
A small island is a real gift for the fish that live in your pond: they will gladly hide under it in the heat
We select suitable plants
Almost all plants are suitable for our purposes, you can even use small shrubs.
- Water lovers. Absolutely any water lover can be used.
- Not lovers of moisture. The owners of the superficial root system should be chosen.
For a water lover, you can use a hydrogel or pebbles instead of soil, which can hold it in the right position. But keep in mind that in the absence of soil, the plants must be fed with substances from the water, so in the pool it is better to use a structure with pots and soil in them.
As you can see, the plants in the flower beds can be very different. Pleasant neighborhood of bright flower islands with water lovers refreshes the reservoir
The plant is selected taking into account its size in adulthood, so that in the future it does not drown the islet on which it grows. However, no one especially tries to plant overall views in such structures. Therefore, it is wiser to focus your attention on colors.
Lilies, hosts, astilbe, papyrus or cyperus, marsh irises, calla lilies and daylilies proved to be great lovers of water travel. They can be accompanied by heather, lamb, formium, heuchera and a variety of ornamental grasses. Sundews, forget-me-nots, horsetails, creeping buttercup, swimsuit, highlander, watch, marigold, calla, cotton grass and sedge will never refuse to swim.
The handsome fern and the surrounding herbs look very impressive, like chic feathers on the royal musketeer's dress hat
Do not forget about those who are used to living in swamps. If possible, be sure to use cloudberry, lingonberry and cranberry bushes. As for the design with pots, absolutely any variegated and bright flowers can be placed in it.
General rules for all structures
Ready-made models of floating beds can be bought in the store, but this option has two significant drawbacks:
- have to spend money;
- it remains to be content with only the standard version.
It is much better to do something to your own taste by decorating your pond with your favorite petunias or calla lilies in a container, the shape of which you yourself will like.
This is how unpretentious, neat and very functional floating flower beds look like, which are offered to us in stores. We ourselves will definitely make it no worse
For such a homemade product, you need to choose the material, decide on the size, figure out exactly how it will stay on the water. It is always necessary to correlate the parameters of the reservoir and the future floating island.
The immersion depth depends on the type of future plants. If they are among those that usually grow on land, then the waterline should be no higher than 7 cm from the plane of the bottom of the island. If bog dwellers and other water lovers are to disembark, then the draft can be 10-12 cm. The immersion depth can be easily adjusted with the help of gravel.
The degree of immersion of a plant in water depends on how much it loves this water. The higher the need for moisture, the lower the flower bed can be sown.
We make a floating flower bed ourselves
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with several very simple options for making such a flower bed yourself. This requires familiar and accessible tools and very inexpensive materials. All four options presented to you have been tested in practice and have been successfully tested.
Option # 1 - multilayer nonwoven filter construction
For work we need: a piece of cardboard, non-woven filter material, polyurethane foam, fishing line, a mixture of peat and flower soil. Tools: pen or pencil, scissors, needle, stationery knife. Don't forget to plant flowers. Let's get to work.
On a piece of cardboard we will draw the outline of the future structure, after which the template must be cut out. With the help of it, we cut out so many blanks from the filter so that they can provide the desired height for the future flower bed. We thread the line with a needle and sew all the layers of the filter together. No need to sew on the very edge. It may very well be that you have to trim the edges of the workpiece with a clerical knife.
The first way to create a floating island is not difficult at all. You just need to be patient and do everything carefully and slowly.
In the resulting platform, we cut out a recess, leaving the sides around the perimeter. After a few punctures, fill the blank with polyurethane foam. Ten or more punctures may be required to ensure good buoyancy of an object. Now let’s wait until the foam is firm enough. Let's test the buoyancy of the raft. If the flowers have large roots, you can make additional cuts or indentations in the filter or in the foam.
Rub wet soil into the pores of the filter, fill the cavity with a mixture of flower soil and peat. Everything, you can put the finished island in the reservoir.
Despite the fact that the tests of the raft took place in some kind of open reservoir, he will have to swim in a barrel in which a small pond is reproduced
Option # 2 - a simple oven filter design
This is an elementary construction for which you will need: two reusable oven filters, staples, flexible wire, scissors, polyurethane foam and a can of green paint.
On the first filter, mark and then cut holes in those places where the flowers will be planted. Fold two pieces together and fasten them with staples around the perimeter. Carefully insert foam between the layers formed, thereby ensuring the buoyancy of the structure. Do not add foam in large portions, as it can tear the surface.
The stove filters turned out to be similar to ordinary pieces of not too thick foam rubber, but much more rigid. It is possible, while maintaining the general meaning of the structure, to make it from another material that is easier to find
When the foam is dry, it is best to paint the islet green to make it look as natural as possible. A wire should be screwed to the side to fix a certain position of the raft in the pond. We plant plants in the holes and lower the finished product into the water. We fix the wire either on the shore or at the bottom.
Option # 3 - a foam island
Polyfoam will be needed in order to cut out the base from it for the future flower bed. You also need: a coconut mat, a needle and strong thread, a little primer. If some of the components are missing, read the replacement tips below.
The third method is also not difficult. If we want to make a large flower bed, you can take either a thick piece of foam or several thin ones that will have to be joined together.
Cut out the desired shape from the foam with a recess for the seedlings. We wrap the blank with a coconut mat and fix it with a strong thread so that it stays firmly on the base. You can sew it along the lower part, hidden from the eyes, and in 6-8 more directions. Rub a little soil into the coconut fiber, then plant flowers. Launch the finished product into the water.
Option # 4 - noodle + coconut fiber
To make a very small, but rather cute design, you will need plastic flower pots, noodle (flexible stick for water aerobics), coconut fiber. Noodle is better to choose blue or green. However, if you want to make the raft more noticeable, then you can, on the contrary, give preference to contrasting colors.
With the help of such simple and bright details, you can build a whole holiday on your reservoir. Let it be colorful, unique and very positive
The hanging elements from the pots will have to be removed. The holes in the lower part can be sealed with sealant. The noodle must be tightly placed under the edge of the container and secured by dragging it to the holes from the suspension parts remaining in the pot. This will keep the product afloat well. The noodle will, of course, have to be cut to size.
Wrap the pot with coconut fiber on both sides and moisten with water to swell. To secure the seedlings, the fibers should be stretched. Having filled the container, you can release it into the reservoir. To improve buoyancy, reduce the contents of the pot or add another noodle.
A few general tips in the end
If you decide to decorate your garden and pond this way, here are some practical tips:
- coconut fiber can be replaced with moss;
- if you plan to run the island into the pool, then several coffee filters under the roots of the seedlings will help clean the incoming water from unnecessary impurities;
- it is better to anchor the anchor at the bottom of the pond than on the shore;
- Styrofoam can be replaced with Styrofoam, Styrofoam, or other foam insulator.
It should also be noted that if there are fish in your pond, the plants will not need soil: they will get everything they need from the water.
Of course, the options we have described do not exhaust all the variety of possibilities. It's just important to understand the general principles of such structures and you can do something of your own no worse
This popular idea can be implemented on your site more than once. It all depends on the size of the water body. Several static or slowly floating rafts in the water will greatly liven up your landscape.
Rate the article:
(6 votes, average: 5 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
The floating flower bed has become more and more of interest to summer residents who have a reservoir on their site. It is a kind of island of flowers and green spaces that moves through the water. The view is simply amazing!
What is the whole point of the idea? To create such an unusual decoration, it is necessary to make a base of wooden boards, plastic or foam, on which a sealant-mesh and earth are placed for planting plants.
Both decorative trees and bushes can be placed on the floating flower bed. One condition is that the plantings must love moisture. The primer is also replaced with hydrogel or pebbles. It is important that this type of flower bed is in a body of water that already contains plants and aquatic inhabitants. This means there are nutrients in the water.
Characteristics of a floating flower garden
- Water purification. The root system of plants is able to absorb organic matter and waste from the inhabitants of the reservoir, filtering it and preventing the growth of algae.
- The floating flower bed does not need to be watered. Plant roots are in water.
- This design will not be spoiled by mice, moles and pets. They just won't get it. Instead of flowers in a flower bed, you can plant vegetables, for example, radishes with carrots.
- The design is compact. Flowerbed plantations will not be able to grow outside of it.
- Convenience for the inhabitants of the reservoir. Fish under the raft will be comfortable in hot weather, and frogs or birds will be able to comfortably sit on it.
What to plant in a flowerbed - an island?
In fact, any plants can be placed in a floating flower bed, but taking into account the size, the necessary floating capacity of the structure is calculated so that the tree or bush that will grow does not flood the island.
Plant plants that love moisture. These are lilies, sedge, horsetail, marsh iris, papyrus, as well as decorative grass or bright potted flowers.
Do-it-yourself flower bed afloat, master class
Currently, you can buy a ready-made floating structure. You can make such a flowerbed - an island yourself.
First, determine the material from which the island will be made so that it can float on the water. Choose the dimensions of the structure yourself, as well as the immersion depth of the plants (about 7 cm from the bottom). The earth should not be washed out by water. The immersion depth is adjustable with gravel.
- For the manufacture of the container, boards in the form of a box with holes are used, boards require impregnation from water. The container is covered with geotextiles or spunbond, the drainage layer and earth are covered.
- The container can be made from plastic bottles. They are cut off, holes are made at the base and geotextiles are covered.
- In the store, you can purchase a pallet or mesh pot.
The flower bed must be floating
A container that is filled with soil will not float. For this you need:
- Prepare packaging foam from household appliances, cut out rectangular frames from it, which will keep the container on the water.Styrofoam is attached to the top of the flower bed, and not to its base.
- Use assembly foam, which is sprayed around the perimeter of the island flower bed and on top of it.
- Tie plastic bottles as a pontoon around the edges of the structure.
- Apply a tube from a car tire, having previously inflated it.
Floating flower pots
Flower pots can also be lowered into the water. They are used to decorate a small pond or a pool in which there are no aquatic inhabitants. You can also purchase a flower pot and equip it with foam or plastic for water stability, as in the example above. It is worth noting that these water pots require watering.
Floating structure decor
- Less attractive edges of a flower bed on the water are masked with moss, soil, or covered with a net, branches.
- LEDs are installed on the floating flower bed. Which work from the control panel.
- Figures of birds or animals are placed on such structures, for example, a ceramic frog, a stork, etc.
Before launching the flower garden into the water for free swimming, it is necessary to test it. If it is not stable, the structure needs to be improved so that it does not overturn on the water. With the growth of plants, the balance of the floating flower bed in the country will change and this must be taken into account.
How to equip a floating flower bed?
The undoubted hit of landscape design is the island flower beds floating in the summer cottages. To create them with your own hands, you will need a waterproof base material and a sealant on which soil is laid out for planting plants. If a floating flower bed looks like an incomprehensible novelty for you, we will understand its arrangement in detail, find out what materials you need to use and what flowers to plant.
What materials and plants are suitable for the flower bed?
We start the construction of a water flower garden by choosing a material that is able to stay afloat. Next, we need containers for planting plants. Then the question of how to fix these containers on a floating base should be resolved. We take into account the following nuances:
- The dimensions of the flower bed should organically fit the size of your pond. We calculate the volume of containers based on the types of plants that will be planted in them.
- The depth of immersion of the flower garden in the water is calculated by the type of flowers or shrubs taken to decorate the flower bed. For land plants - 7cm, for aquatic species - 12cm.
Let's move on to choosing plants for our island. For the main drawing, you can take flowers such as cyperus, marsh iris, geychera, astilba, bathing suit. If we choose shrubs, then we give preference to creeping species: cloudberries and cranberries. The edges of the structure can be closed with ground cover plants, and water-loving flowers must be planted in a hydrogel or pebbles so that they have access to water.
A floating flower bed is an unusual solution for decorating a pond
How to build a floating foam island?
Styrofoam can be an ideal material for decorating a floating flower garden. When assembling our floating structure with your own hands, you should use:
- sealant - moss or a mat made of coconut fiber
- primer for your chosen colors
- carpet thread or fishing line, a needle with a large eye.
Having prepared the materials, we proceed to the arrangement of the flower garden with our own hands. We do this:
- Preparing the layout of the flower bed, transferring the sketch to the surface of the foam.
- Cut out the base of the flower garden. Warm up the scissor blades to make handling the foam easier.
- We take a sealant (moss, mat), lay it out on the foam, cut off the excess. We fix the substrate with a fishing line or carpet thread.
- We moisten the soil and start rubbing it into the sealant.
- We plant the plants.
- We carefully send the finished flower garden to the surface of the pond.
How to build a flower bed on water using plastic bottles and wood?
- boards and wooden blocks
- plastic bottles (we select the volume of bottles by the weight of the raft, at the rate of 1.5 l - 1 kg)
- rope, nails, sealant (silicone)
- impregnation with water-resistant composition for wood.
We proceed to the construction of a decorative island. Step-by-step instruction:
- We cut the boards to the required size. We lubricate them with impregnation and build a frame. We strengthen it with 4x4cm bars.
- We make a boardwalk, we supplement it with boards made of bars.
- We process the lids of plastic bottles with a sealant and screw them back.
- We attach the bottles to the bottom of the wooden flooring. We make sure that the air "cushions" are evenly distributed, avoiding skewing of the "island".
- For the buoyancy of the flower garden, the joints between the bottles should be filled with foam.
- We spread geotextiles on the surface of the raft, fill up the soil, and plant the plants.
We have tried to show you the most creative ideas for unusual flower beds. Of course, there are a great many of them that have no boundaries. Think, create, create new decorative flower beds with your own hands and send us a photo. Good luck!